Santa Cruz Riders

Aptos-Rider
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 1:41pm
This forum is for the people who call Santa Cruz trails their home.
Please keep it to mountain biking topics only.
If not oh well.
|
Big Bird
2/2/2011 11:33am
Who are you? If you're from Aptos, you've probably been to the Freedom 40, a.k.a. Eric's house. That place is a perfect example of mountain bikers and BMXers working and riding together. We've got 20s, 24s, 26s and who knows, maybe some future 29ers in the crew, building with open minds. Check out SasquachCanyon for the latest BMX built line.
bikebabe
3/15/2011 5:55pm
Hi Big Bird--I have been to Eric's house. What does Sasquach Canyon have to do with it?
Big Bird
3/19/2011 11:47am
Sasquach Canyon is a BMX blog produced by a guy named Jackson who along with his friends does a lot of digging at the 40. They have upped the level of jump building technology, building beautiful square edged lips and landings, often elevated off the ground for drainage. I don't really jump anymore after almost losing my spleen, but I still love to dig with the guys. The name Sasquach Canyon comes from their name for the Borland freeride spot that is now off limits. Which was also by the way a collaboration between MTB and BMX. Bike babes are cool.
Aptos-Rider
4/5/2011 1:56pm
Big Bird wrote:
Sasquach Canyon is a BMX blog produced by a guy named Jackson who along with his friends does a lot of digging at the 40. They...
Sasquach Canyon is a BMX blog produced by a guy named Jackson who along with his friends does a lot of digging at the 40. They have upped the level of jump building technology, building beautiful square edged lips and landings, often elevated off the ground for drainage. I don't really jump anymore after almost losing my spleen, but I still love to dig with the guys. The name Sasquach Canyon comes from their name for the Borland freeride spot that is now off limits. Which was also by the way a collaboration between MTB and BMX. Bike babes are cool.
No I have never gotten the opportunity or the invitation to go their. I do however know exactly where they are since they are right down the road from where I live.
Big Bird
4/10/2011 8:41am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2011 8:25am
Not knowing who you really are and it not being my house, I can't invite you over this forum. But if you know any local riders with a ghetto pass and they think your worthy, I hope to see you out there. We've got three mini downhills, two of them shuttlable, a stunt trail with old Sea Otter bridges, jumps and an on-off at the end, dual slalom, dirt jumps of course and eighteen holes of pellet golf.
bwakefie
11/14/2011 10:12pm
Thought I'd round the total number of participating members to 4! What's up guys? I live on the westside and mostly ride above the university. SasquachCanyon is rad. The guys I used to ride with have either stopped riding or moved out of town, so I'm usually up there solo. Anyone frequent ABS? Maybe we'll run into each other.
Big Bird
11/15/2011 9:16am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2012 8:28am
I used to work at ABS years ago. Like back in '96-7? I also raced on the DH team and went on numerous road trips with Chris the owner. One season we made eight trips down to Big Bear. I don't really go there much any more. A couple of years ago I had just gotten a frame that I made back from the powder coater and was on the high of my life. I went back to the shop area to face the frame as always. Danny came in through the back door, having left the shop unattended, and started to give me trouble, telling me that I wasn't using the tools right. (I was working in a metal shop at the time.) I went from the high of my life to fuming and ready to kill him in minutes. Chris talked to me about it and I said that I wanted an apology which I never got. I guess I hold a grudge pretty well, because I haven't been back in a couple of years. I just don't need the stress.
bwakefie
11/15/2011 11:31am
Well some people get super sensitive about their stuff. Especially when it's a shop. But I wasn't there, so I guess it's just a bummer you had a bad experience with the guy. I don't really know who he is because I just never deal with him for some reason. Chris is rad though. He's definitely a straight up guy.
Big Bird
11/17/2011 10:55am
The stuff isn't Danny's and I had always been welcome to use the tools before that. I guess that I just caught him with his pants down. Anyway, I bought my own Park Pro tool set and wrench at home now. Problem solved. Chris is awesome. Did you know that he used to be a pro downhiller? There aren't many shop owners that can say that. Well, I guess Shwillis at Cycle Sport can. But there aren't many more.
bwakefie
11/25/2011 7:44am
SICK! I didn't know that, but that explains why this seemingly strictly all-mountain rider knows so many little tricks about my DH bike.
1/11/2013 8:04pm
Hey im from NY and planning on coming down to aptos for a few weeks is there anyting to ride besides post office?
Big Bird
1/12/2013 8:26am
There are quite a few spots around town. There's the Polo Grounds in Aptos, the Fun Spot bike park near the boardwalk in terms of legal spots. Other than that, start at the Post Office and make some friends.
Iggz
3/26/2013 9:34pm
would i be able to make it around town without a car?
Yeah..... but it's going to suck.

Post a reply to: Santa Cruz Riders

The Latest