Specialized Enduro 650B vs. Devinci Spartan

astrizzle
Edited Date/Time 1/12/2015 9:33am
I"m looking at either bike but I don't know which to really settle on, Do you guys have any suggestions? I know they just came out and I will not likely be able to test ride them back to back or anything but they look like they are the same bike almost.....the enduro looks to be a little less expensive and with better parts on it too. Is there a real benefit to the split pivot suspension design vs the FSR?
|
7/17/2014 12:04pm
You can't go wrong, get which ever one you can get a better price on. I'm deciding between a Bronson and Troy right now... I think it'll also come down to price.
7/17/2014 12:55pm
Having ridden both horst link and split pivot, Weagles split pivot definitely pedals better.
I also was lucky enough to score a Spartan when they first came out, and that bikes squirts
uphill like an XC bike, but blasts turns like a DH bike. I am loving mine!
groghunter
7/17/2014 1:00pm
The complete lack of BB drop(only 2mm) on the Specialized, due to the fact that they aren't using a new front triangle on it, added to the fact that it's new & you can't talk to many who have actually ridden it, and those that have are mostly paid by Specialized, should steer you towards the Spartan.
astrizzle
7/17/2014 1:18pm
I have had soo much fun being on my stumpy evo 26 the past few years so I am def a loyal spesh fan but I am moving to Vancouver this month for school so it would be cool to get a true canadian delicacy while I'm in canada. I wonder if the prices are better on them up there?
his dudeness
7/17/2014 1:21pm
I know that you'll probably not want to hear this, but honestly man it really doesn't make too much sense in investing a big chunk of money into something you haven't first tried out. I'm sure others on this forum will tell you it's alright, and that you can't go wrong with either bike... But at the same time you could very easily spend a lot of cash on something that maybe rides excellent but has a funky fit for you, or vice versa. What is amazing to one person might not be for you.

The claim of the Devinci pedaling better and climbing faster is something I'd really like to look into. Since Specialized have been on this Enduro revision the bikes have climbed scary fast and much more efficient. As in they climbed faster than my 25 pound geeked out trailbike. And of course they are among the best descending bikes out there right now.

The Devinci is an interesting bike though. I'd imagine that just on the frame geo's it would have a bit more of an advantage in really gnarly and chunky dh situations but actually be a bit sluggish on the ups, but having not ridden one I can't comment. And if you're looking for a bike to take on long rides it did look on paper to be on the heavy side, and magic climbing abilities or not, a heavier bike is going to sap more energy in the long run. If you care about such a thing. It does however look like the perfect bike for park, shuttle, and trailriding use.

I know this sounds like I'm a Spec fanboy, but to their disadvantage I'm 6'3 and they stopped making bikes that fit me 2-3 years ago unless of course I chose to ride a 29er. I'm not against a 29er and the Enduro 29 actually does ride pretty freaking good. But I just don't like a company telling me that they know better and that I have no choice but to ride this one option while everyone 6 feet and below can choose from other wheelsize options to suit their needs. So, I ride a Santa Cruz Bronson now and couldn't be happier.
prestondh
7/17/2014 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2014 3:52pm
I am in the SAME situation, although I am trying to decide between the Enduro 650b (mayber 29er too) and the new SC Nomad. TBH they both seem very similar, both have 165mm rear travel, short rear ends,
rondre3000
7/17/2014 3:36pm
prestondh wrote:
I am in the SAME situation, although I am trying to decide between the Enduro 650b (mayber 29er too) and the new SC Nomad. TBH they...
I am in the SAME situation, although I am trying to decide between the Enduro 650b (mayber 29er too) and the new SC Nomad. TBH they both seem very similar, both have 165mm rear travel, short rear ends,
You mean SC NOMAD, correct? The Bronson is 650b, but 150mm of rear travel. I can tell you, since I own both, that they Enduro 29'er and the Bronson are not very similar rides.
prestondh
7/17/2014 3:55pm
less than 66 deg HTA. The devinci is going to be a bit heavier and ride a bit different since its aluminum. I personally am leaning towards the Nomad, i think you should certainly add that to your list of 650b bikes to consider.

EDIT: did not post half my comment and I did mean nomad, and not bronson.
Big Bird
7/17/2014 3:56pm
Like His Dudeness said, I'd hold off and go to Canada with your current bike. That way you could actually try them both on at the local Canadian bike shop. And the price may well be lower without our steep tariffs.
rondre3000
7/17/2014 3:58pm
I know that you'll probably not want to hear this, but honestly man it really doesn't make too much sense in investing a big chunk of...
I know that you'll probably not want to hear this, but honestly man it really doesn't make too much sense in investing a big chunk of money into something you haven't first tried out. I'm sure others on this forum will tell you it's alright, and that you can't go wrong with either bike... But at the same time you could very easily spend a lot of cash on something that maybe rides excellent but has a funky fit for you, or vice versa. What is amazing to one person might not be for you.

The claim of the Devinci pedaling better and climbing faster is something I'd really like to look into. Since Specialized have been on this Enduro revision the bikes have climbed scary fast and much more efficient. As in they climbed faster than my 25 pound geeked out trailbike. And of course they are among the best descending bikes out there right now.

The Devinci is an interesting bike though. I'd imagine that just on the frame geo's it would have a bit more of an advantage in really gnarly and chunky dh situations but actually be a bit sluggish on the ups, but having not ridden one I can't comment. And if you're looking for a bike to take on long rides it did look on paper to be on the heavy side, and magic climbing abilities or not, a heavier bike is going to sap more energy in the long run. If you care about such a thing. It does however look like the perfect bike for park, shuttle, and trailriding use.

I know this sounds like I'm a Spec fanboy, but to their disadvantage I'm 6'3 and they stopped making bikes that fit me 2-3 years ago unless of course I chose to ride a 29er. I'm not against a 29er and the Enduro 29 actually does ride pretty freaking good. But I just don't like a company telling me that they know better and that I have no choice but to ride this one option while everyone 6 feet and below can choose from other wheelsize options to suit their needs. So, I ride a Santa Cruz Bronson now and couldn't be happier.
^ This guy speaks the truth. If you can, RIDE THEM before buying. Even if its just to confirm fit in the parking lot. Just spent $8K on an S-Works E29'er and it's a great bike, don't get me wrong, but for what I ride 75% of the time my new Bronson feels like a much better fit. Steers, pedals and climbs better...for ME.

-r.
astrizzle
7/17/2014 6:03pm
I will FOR SURE see if I can ride them both a few times before I buy, does anyone know if there are places in Vancouver that do this? Where I live currently (and have lived before) there aren't any options to test ride those particular bikes (even if they were readily available). I'm not a huge fan of santa cruz personally but if they are available to ride I might as well check them out too.

Thanks for the help so far, I gotta say that I'm leaning towards the Specialized though; the parts spec/price is much more appealing PLUS its carbon so it is lighter and climbs better. Even if they release a carbon version of the Spartan I imagine it will be more expensive than the top model that they currently have which is already about $500 more than the Enduro Expert. Seems like the big S made a tactical move to release the 650 enduro so late.......after they saw what the competition offered and then undercut them to capitalize on the market, gotta love big business lol.
badbietz
7/17/2014 8:26pm
Spartan looks sick but it's an 8lb frame vs the Enduro at sub 6lb. Depending on you intended use this may make a big difference. Personally with so many all mountain bikes out right now that are 6lb frames I just don't get an 8lb frame other than a DH/Freeride rig.
spudreau
7/17/2014 8:50pm
I rode the troy, the enduro 29 and 26, my trusty santa cruz which i then sold to buy a new bike. What did i go with? I think in my mind it would be the 5010, however, after test riding 3 times (shop was gettn a bit suspicious i think) and for the value, i went with a norco sight carbon . Honestly, i cant get enough of this thing. Sub 26 lbs, intelligently engineered ( the little things are all done right ) and ride quality is exceptional. So smooth and quiet, 140mm it isnt a dh bike, but where i live... It is funner then my dh bike on groomed park runs and just a blast on any trail riding we can find. By far the best bike ive ever owned. Im sure all the bikes would likely have had the same result as there was so much new tech for me on it ( xx1, 27.5, carbon. Internal cable routing, stealth dropper post) but shit, it rides great and looks boss! I still have a place in my heart for my heckler though... We went through allot together.
7/18/2014 12:13pm
badbietz wrote:
Spartan looks sick but it's an 8lb frame vs the Enduro at sub 6lb. Depending on you intended use this may make a big difference. Personally...
Spartan looks sick but it's an 8lb frame vs the Enduro at sub 6lb. Depending on you intended use this may make a big difference. Personally with so many all mountain bikes out right now that are 6lb frames I just don't get an 8lb frame other than a DH/Freeride rig.
I would definitely not characterize the Spartan as heavy. Stock RR build, swapped my favorite tires, tubeless- hair
under 30lbs. It is not sluggish on the uphills. A mediocre pedaling bike wouldn't have gotten Damien Oton to the
top step of an EWS podium.
groghunter
7/18/2014 12:25pm
astrizzle wrote:
I will FOR SURE see if I can ride them both a few times before I buy, does anyone know if there are places in Vancouver...
I will FOR SURE see if I can ride them both a few times before I buy, does anyone know if there are places in Vancouver that do this? Where I live currently (and have lived before) there aren't any options to test ride those particular bikes (even if they were readily available). I'm not a huge fan of santa cruz personally but if they are available to ride I might as well check them out too.

Thanks for the help so far, I gotta say that I'm leaning towards the Specialized though; the parts spec/price is much more appealing PLUS its carbon so it is lighter and climbs better. Even if they release a carbon version of the Spartan I imagine it will be more expensive than the top model that they currently have which is already about $500 more than the Enduro Expert. Seems like the big S made a tactical move to release the 650 enduro so late.......after they saw what the competition offered and then undercut them to capitalize on the market, gotta love big business lol.
Specialized certainly does do a good spec on bikes. That said, I really have to reiterate: I've ridden a few 650b bikes at this point, and the amount of BB drop has made more difference than HT angle as to whether I liked them or not, believe it or not. One of the big advantages of 650b is that it adds just enough ground clearance to make a bike with 1 - 1.5cm of BB drop not have excessive pedal strikes, why buy a 650b and not get one of the main advantages?

The other point I'm starting to consider: I'm at 0 on liking 650b bikes from brands that weren't enthusiastic about making them, like SC & Specialized. Seems like going with a brand that really wants to make a 650b bike is the way to go at this point.
astrizzle
7/18/2014 2:34pm
groghunter wrote:
Specialized certainly does do a good spec on bikes. That said, I really have to reiterate: I've ridden a few 650b bikes at this point, and...
Specialized certainly does do a good spec on bikes. That said, I really have to reiterate: I've ridden a few 650b bikes at this point, and the amount of BB drop has made more difference than HT angle as to whether I liked them or not, believe it or not. One of the big advantages of 650b is that it adds just enough ground clearance to make a bike with 1 - 1.5cm of BB drop not have excessive pedal strikes, why buy a 650b and not get one of the main advantages?

The other point I'm starting to consider: I'm at 0 on liking 650b bikes from brands that weren't enthusiastic about making them, like SC & Specialized. Seems like going with a brand that really wants to make a 650b bike is the way to go at this point.
I'm curious what you mean about the whole BB drop part? I know that Specialized has super low BB height as one of the defining characteristics but I don't know much about BB drop, could you explain it to me and how it relates to 650B Bikes?
groghunter
7/18/2014 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2014 3:23pm
groghunter wrote:
Specialized certainly does do a good spec on bikes. That said, I really have to reiterate: I've ridden a few 650b bikes at this point, and...

astrizzle wrote:
I'm curious what you mean about the whole BB drop part? I know that Specialized has super low BB height as one of the defining characteristics...
I'm curious what you mean about the whole BB drop part? I know that Specialized has super low BB height as one of the defining characteristics but I don't know much about BB drop, could you explain it to me and how it relates to 650B Bikes?
BB drop is the measurement of where the BB is vertically in relationship to the axles. Take a piece of string, and attach it to the front & rear axles of a bike(bike straight & level, of course.) the center of BB will either be above that string(BB rise) level(neutral BB ) or below it(BB drop.) on most 26" bikes, the BB will be neutral, or have BB rise, because you have to get the BB below about 13.5" to get BB drop on a 26" bike. The problem being, getting much lower than that(depending on rear suspension travel & sag point, of course) will start to cause excessive pedal strikes, because you've moved pedals too close to the ground.

Now if you think about where your weight transfers to the bike, it's at the seat, pedals, & bars. you can throw out seat during aggressive riding(cause you get off it,) & it's immediately obvious that more of your weight transfers through the pedals than the bars, no matter how over the front you ride. so BB drop is important because it affects the main point that your weight transfers to the bike, & the farther that weight transfers from below the axles, the more if feels like you ride "in" the bike, not "on" the bike.

Now take a 650b tire & wheel. because it's slightly taller, you can achieve a small amount (about half an inch seems to be popular)of BB drop, & keep overall BB height still at about that 13.5" number.

This conversation can get really complicated from here. obviously, you can make the argument that where the BB rests at sag is a more important number, which is true, but harder to measure (in that BB height, and increasingly, BB drop numbers are published, but BB height at sag isn't.) but regardless, for a given BB height, the higher the axles are, the more the weight is tranfering "through" the axles vs "over" the axles.

Everything is subjective, but it's been a big factor to me for whether a bike feels comfortable or not.

NastyNate
7/18/2014 3:27pm
If I recall correctly the enduro has a really high bb which in my opinion is a downside to it. The problem I have with the spartan is it has a short reach. I like to run a short stem and don't know that would work well on that bike. other than that they both look really good! As a few others mentioned the new Santa Cruz nomad is looking like a really good third option. Kind of remedies both those problems low bottom bracket and long reach. one other bike that might be worth looking at is the kona process 153. Only has 153" of rear travel and a 66.5 ha but may be a better all around everyday type bike. Those bikes with really slack head angles drift pretty bad on steep climbs. Not sure if you have a lot of those around where you ride but definitely something to think about.if I was you I might go with the Spartan but switch over the drive line to sram 1x11. You'll drop about 1.3 lbs and have an overall better performing set up. Oh and for the record one of my bikes is the Enduro 29 ER which is awesome but just goes to show that I'm NOT biased to specialized! definitely try to ride everything before you commit to buy anything good luck!!
Dogboy
7/19/2014 7:20am
I'm with Dirty Jane. The Spartan pedals way better than the Enduro and you won't have to use a pedal platform on the shock as a band-aid to fix it. The frame is heavier, but with comparable builds the weight isn't very noticeable. I had a Yeti SB66c before the Spartan and while the Yeti frame was a good chunk lighter, the complete bike feels about the same. Ride them both if you can.
7/24/2014 8:07pm
I caught a glimpse of it at Canyons last week. Didn't catch that it was carbon into seeing it on pinkbike. Looks way good. I think there's a certain appeal about something you can't get as readily as you can an Enduro. Not that the Enduro isn't an extremely capable machine.
1/12/2015 9:33am
astrizzle wrote:
I"m looking at either bike but I don't know which to really settle on, Do you guys have any suggestions? I know they just came out...
I"m looking at either bike but I don't know which to really settle on, Do you guys have any suggestions? I know they just came out and I will not likely be able to test ride them back to back or anything but they look like they are the same bike almost.....the enduro looks to be a little less expensive and with better parts on it too. Is there a real benefit to the split pivot suspension design vs the FSR?
I have the carbon spartan, can't say much about the specialized, but I love the spartan , zero complaints so far!! Ted

Post a reply to: Specialized Enduro 650B vs. Devinci Spartan

The Latest