Silent or LOUD Hubs?

MTB R&D
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 12:34pm
Building up a new DS/play bike. I am using the 5 spd. Assembly Industries Hub and it comes in "silent" and "full-scale". According to their website...

"the “super silent” and the “full-scale” version. The silent one sounds just like “ssssssss” and the loud full-scale free wheel almost shouts out with a “dang, dang!!!”"

I have always used loud hubs. Who likes silent? Who likes them loud? Why?
|
bturman
9/13/2012 1:37pm
Silent baby! I love hearing nothing but tires against the dirt.
Big Bird
9/14/2012 8:32am
I second the silent motion. I find loud hubs distracting.
vics26
9/14/2012 9:07am
I agree with the comments above in regards to just hearing nature when riding the trails but there is something awesome about the buzz of a rear hub like the Chris King. My votes on the loud hubs.
MTB R&D
9/17/2012 7:31am
Hmm...well I have always liked loud hubs on the track. I think I might try a silent one. I have a silent guide so putting a loud hub would probably defeat the purpose. Thanks for the opinions. Ride on guys!
bhalpin47
9/24/2012 10:59am
In terms of physics and conservation of energy.... any noise is energy lost from your forward momentum. Whether or not the energy loss is anything significant in comparison to rolling friction, and all of the other contributing factors is a different story. I prefer silent for that reason, but I think inefficiencies in pedal technique/stroke, body weight placement, and line choice can more than make up for any noticeable difference in internal friction of the bike.
Zoro
9/25/2012 9:18am
LOUD HUBS. Profiles, Hope, E13s. YEAH
kev1n
9/27/2012 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2012 9:54pm
Its funny, I have both extremes on my bikes. On my downhill bike i have a dead silent Easton havoc hub. However, on my dirt jumper I have a halo supadrive hub which is the loudest hub i have ever heard. it straight sounds like a angry nest of bees, this hub screams, its not even like a *tick *tick its more of constant buzz. the thing is crazy. I like a silent hub on the DH just to make my bike deadly silent and fast on the other hand, I enjoy a loud hub on the DJ because it helps me gauge my speed when im cruzing or riding a line. some crazy logic
9/28/2012 12:30am
I get confused when I ride a silent bike. Like it's not actually moving forward. Hope Pro 2s for me all the way!
Big Bird
9/28/2012 8:06am
@Kevin Good point on gauging your speed at the jumps. Not crazy logic at all.
MTB R&D
9/28/2012 9:11am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:22am
That makes sense to me...we don't put speedometers in our offroad race trucks...just listen and use the tach.

I got to check out the hub. It was a silent. It isn't completely quiet like the old Machine Techs. Now I may go back to my comfort zone and go loud.
guyb
10/4/2012 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2012 5:15pm
What? I can't hear you. My hubs are too loud. Of course, I don't have to worry about coming across any wildlife on the trails...it's long gone before I get there.
kidwoo
10/11/2012 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:22am
My dirtjumper has this loud ass hope thing on it. It annoys the shlt out of me. I gauge speed on how fast I'm going.

So the next question: does that spray on rubberizer thing made for tools work on pawls?
bhalpin47
10/12/2012 8:39am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:22am
kidwoo wrote:
My dirtjumper has this loud ass hope thing on it. It annoys the shlt out of me. I gauge speed on how fast I'm going. So...
My dirtjumper has this loud ass hope thing on it. It annoys the shlt out of me. I gauge speed on how fast I'm going.

So the next question: does that spray on rubberizer thing made for tools work on pawls?
Assuming you weren't just joking:
I don't think that would be a good idea. The pawls' shape and size are designed to mesh with the teeth in the freehub body and the spray on compound would change their dimensions, even a small change could have a drastic effect on performance... and if that stuff started to wear off and got loose inside the hub you could have some serious problems.
kidwoo
10/12/2012 10:26am
kidwoo wrote:
My dirtjumper has this loud ass hope thing on it. It annoys the shlt out of me. I gauge speed on how fast I'm going. So...

bhalpin47 wrote:
Assuming you weren't just joking: I don't think that would be a good idea. The pawls' shape and size are designed to mesh with the teeth...
Assuming you weren't just joking:
I don't think that would be a good idea. The pawls' shape and size are designed to mesh with the teeth in the freehub body and the spray on compound would change their dimensions, even a small change could have a drastic effect on performance... and if that stuff started to wear off and got loose inside the hub you could have some serious problems.
I just got impatient and replaced the pawl springs with gummi bears. It sounds a lot better.

Post a reply to: Silent or LOUD Hubs?

The Latest