EVOV.S.FoxShoxV.S.RockShoxV.S.Manitou DH

Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 4:07am
This is your place to argue between the EVO Emerald http://www.dvosuspension.com/products/dvo-2014-emerald-details/ , the FoxShox Float 40 Air http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=air40 , the RockShox BoXXer World Cup http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/boxxer-world-cup , and the Manitou Dorado http://www.manitoumtb.com/products/forks/dorado/ or any other DH fork you want to add! May the best fork win!
|
Big Bird
11/11/2013 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2013 6:43pm
My three cents. I've always been a bit of a Rock Shox guy, having worked at Anpther Bike Shop a couple of blocks from the original factory in Santa Cruz. I think I was an unpaid tester on the down low flow since I'm pretty sure that I was the first non pro on a single crown DHO. My current fork is a 32mm World Cup that was formerly owned by a pro, so it has all the guts that the black box riders had back when they were current. (It has the RED valve. Woohoo!) It's been set and forget for four or five years now. No leaks or problems anywhere, even the air spring. I can only imagine that the current World Cup must only be better. Before that I ran an original Dorado that I bought from a friend. It had been tuned for hucking and after I took out the biggest layer of shims it's been the best feeling fork that I've ever ridden. It's only got the six inches of travel, but it's bottomless. Again, the new one can only be better. I'm excited about the new Emerald. Coming from the guy behind the buttery Marzoccis that I've had, (My first "Downhill" fork was a 4" Z 1 Bomber.) It must be good. I can't say since I've yet to ride one like most of the others here. So, three good options so far. As for a Fox 40, though I haven't ridden one myself, I have heard feedback from the pro who sold me my current World Cup. He was sponsored by Fox for two seasons and had nothing good to say about them except that they were stiff. He went on a week long trip to Whistler with one with a fresh "Pro tune" and had a horrible time. It was so harsh that on the first day of riding it ripped off all of his callouses and he spent the next six days in pain. I've seen the picture. It's not pretty. So my list… If I had the money for a new fork, I'd have to play it safe and get a new World Cup. If I had stupid money I'd get the Emerald, because I know it can't be bad and might just be amazing. Part of me says that the new Dorado is the way to go as they were good in the past and must be better now. And having seen the shoddy craftsmanship coming out of Watsonville, I don't ride Fox. I feel like a dick hating on Fox over and over but, aside from sponsored riders, I haven't heard much gushing praise.
11/13/2013 6:45am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2013 6:46am
Big Bird wrote:
My three cents. I've always been a bit of a Rock Shox guy, having worked at Anpther Bike Shop a couple of blocks from the original...
My three cents. I've always been a bit of a Rock Shox guy, having worked at Anpther Bike Shop a couple of blocks from the original factory in Santa Cruz. I think I was an unpaid tester on the down low flow since I'm pretty sure that I was the first non pro on a single crown DHO. My current fork is a 32mm World Cup that was formerly owned by a pro, so it has all the guts that the black box riders had back when they were current. (It has the RED valve. Woohoo!) It's been set and forget for four or five years now. No leaks or problems anywhere, even the air spring. I can only imagine that the current World Cup must only be better. Before that I ran an original Dorado that I bought from a friend. It had been tuned for hucking and after I took out the biggest layer of shims it's been the best feeling fork that I've ever ridden. It's only got the six inches of travel, but it's bottomless. Again, the new one can only be better. I'm excited about the new Emerald. Coming from the guy behind the buttery Marzoccis that I've had, (My first "Downhill" fork was a 4" Z 1 Bomber.) It must be good. I can't say since I've yet to ride one like most of the others here. So, three good options so far. As for a Fox 40, though I haven't ridden one myself, I have heard feedback from the pro who sold me my current World Cup. He was sponsored by Fox for two seasons and had nothing good to say about them except that they were stiff. He went on a week long trip to Whistler with one with a fresh "Pro tune" and had a horrible time. It was so harsh that on the first day of riding it ripped off all of his callouses and he spent the next six days in pain. I've seen the picture. It's not pretty. So my list… If I had the money for a new fork, I'd have to play it safe and get a new World Cup. If I had stupid money I'd get the Emerald, because I know it can't be bad and might just be amazing. Part of me says that the new Dorado is the way to go as they were good in the past and must be better now. And having seen the shoddy craftsmanship coming out of Watsonville, I don't ride Fox. I feel like a dick hating on Fox over and over but, aside from sponsored riders, I haven't heard much gushing praise.
Man I rode the new fox 40 airs they are great! And what is the red nob? Are you refncing the adjousters for compression or rebound?
Big Bird
11/13/2013 8:44am
The red valve was a black box part. It's down inside the fork. I can't remember if it is on the compression or rebound. I haven't had to take it apart in years. I'm officially going to stop bad mouthing Fox. "If you don't have anything good to say…" But that doesn't mean I'll start riding them.
11/19/2013 11:08pm
Looking at the specs, the Emerald is heavier than a coil fork. Now wondering if X-Fusion will make a Revel for downhill.

Post a reply to: EVOV.S.FoxShoxV.S.RockShoxV.S.Manitou DH

The Latest