2017 Racing Rumors

peecee
4/14/2017 6:14am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2017 6:20am
Mondraker, going 29" can't think who else's frames have the gap at the front. Prototype Radon maybe ?

4/14/2017 6:23am
peecee wrote:
Mondraker, going 29" can't think who else's frames have the gap at the front. Prototype Radon maybe ? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/04/14/5095/s1200_IMG_3308.jpg[/img]
Mondraker, going 29" can't think who else's frames have the gap at the front. Prototype Radon maybe ?

Trek Factory Racing aka The Athertons are in Lousa right now, testing with Fox...
4/14/2017 8:01am
baronKanon wrote:
Trek Factory Racing aka The Athertons are in Lousa right now, testing with Fox...
The shape of the bike shadow is definitely more Mondraker Summum than Trek Session, that's for sure.
mp
4/14/2017 11:02am
It's 2017 and we're still talking about wheel size. Wake me up when this is all over.
DubC
4/14/2017 11:09am
Info coming soon now that Crankworx NZ is happening?
zbyszek222 wrote:
April fools launch maybe? Smile
Mo(n)arch wrote:
Are we talking about this? [img]https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb14603249/p5pb14603249.jpg[/img] [img]https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb14603334/p5pb14603334.jpg[/img]
Are we talking about this?

Reads like an Onion headline: "Guy who does work for company, says their bikes are best ever."

It's certainly intriguing and damn rad to see something different from VPP/DW, horst, or single pivot. Some of the geo numbers are a bit interesting, but I wont judge until I try one. Rad to see Polygon thinking outside the box and not just jumping on horst or VPP because the patents expired.
JCycleTech
4/14/2017 12:33pm
peecee wrote:
Mondraker, going 29" can't think who else's frames have the gap at the front. Prototype Radon maybe ? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/04/14/5095/s1200_IMG_3308.jpg[/img]

baronKanon wrote:
Agree with @Iceman2058 and @peecee on this one. Does look more like the Summum frame in the shadow, rear linkage location and opening in the front triangle. Although it is confirmed the Atherton's will likely be on 29ers this year: https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/downhill-bikes/inside-trek-rd…
Primoz
4/14/2017 3:16pm
I find it funny how Voss claims his design needs almost no damping while Jose says that a system needs damping in order to function.

I think i'll stick with the opinion of the guy, that worked with MX bikes, designed shock absorbers and has developed many race winning bikes over the opinion of a guy that designed URT mountain bikes...
peecee
4/14/2017 3:21pm
peecee wrote:

baronKanon wrote:
I'm not sure who the guy who posted this but i was trying to work it out from his other pics I first thought he may of been something to do with Radon bikes
DubC
4/14/2017 3:54pm
Primoz wrote:
I find it funny how Voss claims his design needs almost no damping while Jose says that a system needs damping in order to function. I...
I find it funny how Voss claims his design needs almost no damping while Jose says that a system needs damping in order to function.

I think i'll stick with the opinion of the guy, that worked with MX bikes, designed shock absorbers and has developed many race winning bikes over the opinion of a guy that designed URT mountain bikes...
I caught that contradiction as well. Interesting difference in philosophy. Car's, moto's and other vehicles all seem heavily dependent on damping....but who knows...maybe bikes are different enough. The initial reports on this new suspension design seem impressively promising.

I'll stick with the opinion of trying something before I pass too much judgement. Just because someone designed good or bad things in the past it doesn't always speak to what they design in the future. Everyone starts somewhere.
JCycleTech
4/14/2017 3:58pm
peecee wrote:

baronKanon wrote:
peecee wrote:
I'm not sure who the guy who posted this but i was trying to work it out from his other pics I first thought he may...
I'm not sure who the guy who posted this but i was trying to work it out from his other pics I first thought he may of been something to do with Radon bikes
He's a Fox Factory Tech on the WC circuit. Though I could see where the Radon connection might be made, being German and all.
kev.1n
4/14/2017 4:08pm
You can also see that it's a raw aluminum frame, so clearly a prototype frame.
PeteB
4/14/2017 7:22pm
A little bird told me that Trek R&D was riding what looked like full carbon Session 29ers along with the raw alu 29er proto from the Dirt Mountain Bike Article. The bikes looked super well finished, almost as if they were production but they didn't have the braking damper like on the alu proto. Who knew trek was testing in southern colorado, maybe around the Trinidad area?
pierson100
4/14/2017 11:14pm
PeteB wrote:
A little bird told me that Trek R&D was riding what looked like full carbon Session 29ers along with the raw alu 29er proto from the...
A little bird told me that Trek R&D was riding what looked like full carbon Session 29ers along with the raw alu 29er proto from the Dirt Mountain Bike Article. The bikes looked super well finished, almost as if they were production but they didn't have the braking damper like on the alu proto. Who knew trek was testing in southern colorado, maybe around the Trinidad area?
I can back this up, trek RAD was testing carbon session 29ers at Trinidad this week, the dirt mag article only shows the aluminum version, but there will defiantly carbon session 29ers for Lordes. let the fun begin.
Primoz
4/14/2017 11:17pm
PeteB wrote:
A little bird told me that Trek R&D was riding what looked like full carbon Session 29ers along with the raw alu 29er proto from the...
The damper is a bolt on addition, it's not integrated.
Primoz
4/14/2017 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2017 11:24pm
Primoz wrote:
I find it funny how Voss claims his design needs almost no damping while Jose says that a system needs damping in order to function. I...

DubC wrote:
I caught that contradiction as well. Interesting difference in philosophy. Car's, moto's and other vehicles all seem heavily dependent on damping....but who knows...maybe bikes are different...
I caught that contradiction as well. Interesting difference in philosophy. Car's, moto's and other vehicles all seem heavily dependent on damping....but who knows...maybe bikes are different enough. The initial reports on this new suspension design seem impressively promising.

I'll stick with the opinion of trying something before I pass too much judgement. Just because someone designed good or bad things in the past it doesn't always speak to what they design in the future. Everyone starts somewhere.
You have a very good point here about opinions, one I should follow as well. But I can't get out of my skin :-D

As for damping, bikes aren't much different to other vehicles, moving systems need damping in order to prevent unwanted oscillations. The only issues I can see with bikes are first that the rider plays a significant role in system weight, which means the suspension needs to be much more finely tuned from rider to rider (both spring rates and damping) and secondly the reliance on compression damping in order to make the bike pedal in the case if some designs. This is maybe the point where Voss comes from.

But, how many times have you read "the bike pedals well, but the compression damping is too high and is noticeable while descending"? I think these days most longer travel bikes have priorities (and thus damping) pretty much sorted.
4/19/2017 12:32pm
Matt Walker testing what looks like a 180mm front travel DH bike with fox today in Portugal... Could it be a 29"?

They also seem to be testing the 27.5 version with loads of data acquisition tech, so I'd have said it's unlikely that it's another 27.5 prototype.

tmano2
4/19/2017 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2017 12:38pm
Look at the diference in the stanchion diameter, it s an enduro bike, you can even see the top of the fox transfer under the sadle
MPH24
9/3/2017 8:53pm
With WC around the corner, anyone hear any grumblings about people moving around?

Changes at GT?
trexyz
9/4/2017 1:43am
MPH24 wrote:
With WC around the corner, anyone hear any grumblings about people moving around?

Changes at GT?
Warner said something at the last round... Anyway a new topic is required. Bring on 2018.
Petder
9/4/2017 2:10am
Just gonna leave this here:

- Danny Hart to Saracen (contracts are signed)
- Fischbach to Cube
- Williamson to Saracen
- Baby-faced Southafrican to launch Investec Factory Racing
- Wyn to Polygon
- Brook to MS Mondraker
- Greg retires -> Eliot replaces him at SC
- Amaury to Specialized
- Steve Peat as UCI delegated with Greg as assistant
- Payet to Propain
- New Redalp factory team with a kiwi as rider
- Tomac stays with Kawasaki

Post a reply to: 2017 Racing Rumors