2010 World Champs Video Rules

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 8/9/2014 3:05am
Here's what came down the pipe from Martin Whiteley, Trek World Racing Team Manager, regarding video coverage from 2010 World Championships at Mont Sainte Anne. I don't know how this affects editorial videos (like MTBcut and Dirt), but I would assume the 3 minute max applies...will keep you posted.

-------------

Here are the conditions for the filming / accreditation at the 2010 UCI MTB & Trials World Championships for video operators who film for the MTB Trade teams:

- Maximum of 3 min per discipline

- Filming only on last 100 meters of the courses before the finish lines, - podium, interviews in mixed zone (not in the finish bowl, winner interviews not before the Host Broadcaster Flash Interview)

- Availability world-wide

- Upload not earlier than 5 hrs after the end of the race

- Price 800 Euro per website respectively the operator (if one operator supplies different websites or teams he has to pay related to the number of websites he is supplying, e.g. one operator films for "team A" & "team B" = 2 Trade Teams = € 1’600)

-You can have images from the seeding run / qualifications (which are part of the competitions) but this as well not longer than 3 minutes per discipline. After the finals the 5 hours rule applies.

|
k.shiz
8/4/2010 8:29am
Also:

-Cameras must be shot left-eye style.

-Release waivers must be signed by every fan appearing in your backgrounds.

-No fun having.

-Parkin brothers must wear two-man horse costume. Ass end to be determined by rock/paper/scissors, best two out of three.
flipper
8/4/2010 8:43am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:11pm
i cant wait to hear what beigewolf has to say about this.
CRFRDH
8/4/2010 8:52am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:11pm
and what about I go with couple of friends...record the race, then do a video an load it in the web...no brands, no website, no marketing what-so-ever that can be link to this...so, would it work..?

sspomer
8/4/2010 8:58am
CRFRDH wrote:
and what about I go with couple of friends...record the race, then do a video an load it in the web...no brands, no website, no marketing...
and what about I go with couple of friends...record the race, then do a video an load it in the web...no brands, no website, no marketing what-so-ever that can be link to this...so, would it work..?

as stated in the rules above, these are conditions for those with media credentials and/or filming for MTB trade teams.
sideshow
8/4/2010 9:06am
CRFRDH wrote:
and what about I go with couple of friends...record the race, then do a video an load it in the web...no brands, no website, no marketing...

sspomer wrote:
as stated in the rules above, these are conditions for those with media credentials and/or filming for MTB trade teams.
sounds like a pretty awesome game of hide-and-get-footage for everyone...

don't it just make ya smiiiiile when greedy people make great rules because they can?
me too.
8/4/2010 9:08am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:19am
$800 euros??
i'm sneakin in with an iphone & a helmetcam in my afro wig.
Pslide
8/4/2010 9:28am
As a consumer, I'm willing to trade those rules for 14 cameras on the hill for the live feed.

But I hope this doesn't apply to the guys making end of year films and other projects.
metalmike
8/4/2010 10:01am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2010 10:02am
$800 euros??
Nice, Theo! Get it did! Make sure it's the iPhone 4 wit da 720p
Surfwax
8/4/2010 10:52am
So... no one's going to buy media credentials? Can you film without media credentials?
8/4/2010 11:43am
God forbid we actually expose mountain biking to more people! That might hurt sales of road racing licenses. UCI is the lamest bunch of fun killers I have ever seen (next to maybe US cycling?!)
thom9719
8/4/2010 12:38pm
This is the dumbest thing our governing bodies could possibly do for the sport.

-KT
bturman
8/4/2010 12:52pm
flipper wrote:
i cant wait to hear what beigewolf has to say about this.
hahaha! me too.
Pslide
8/4/2010 12:52pm
So what's the point? Is the UCI planning to sell the footage they collect from the freecaster cameras to all the trade teams and make a buck? This is about the only reason I can think of as to why they'd put these rules in place.
thevish
8/4/2010 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:11pm
how nice and lame, i doubt this will be around for long.
people always do the opposite of what you say.. so look out for bootlegs yeeehaww haha
thevish
8/4/2010 12:57pm
Pslide wrote:
So what's the point? Is the UCI planning to sell the footage they collect from the freecaster cameras to all the trade teams and make a...
So what's the point? Is the UCI planning to sell the footage they collect from the freecaster cameras to all the trade teams and make a buck? This is about the only reason I can think of as to why they'd put these rules in place.
its all about money son, what else would it be about?
SlickShoe671
8/4/2010 1:12pm
k.shiz wrote:
Also: -Cameras must be shot left-eye style. -Release waivers must be signed by every fan appearing in your backgrounds. -No fun having. -Parkin brothers must wear...
Also:

-Cameras must be shot left-eye style.

-Release waivers must be signed by every fan appearing in your backgrounds.

-No fun having.

-Parkin brothers must wear two-man horse costume. Ass end to be determined by rock/paper/scissors, best two out of three.
LMAO!!!
8/4/2010 1:28pm
Butterman, no mention of camera slider setups or mod-ed focus ring lever arms. Looks like you are solid. Plus, you can smuggle in a go-pro or two in your cast. Get this kid a ticket to Worlds, Spoons!
tacubaya
8/4/2010 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:11pm
Holy crap.... this reminds me of the World Cycling Federation bastards in the movie "The Flying Scotsman (2006)".

8/4/2010 1:53pm
Spot on K.Shiz, next thing you know spectators will have to stand 5m away from the side of the course to get out of the 3 minute shot (and to protect against liability issues from flying roost!)
veeae
8/4/2010 3:13pm
so is this rule of the 100 meters only for the raceday?

@theo: let's get some sniper camouflage and hide in the mountain
8/4/2010 3:46pm
Does UCI plan on prosecuting all unauthorized videos uploaded to the web? Good luck with that!
gTuz
8/4/2010 6:02pm
Smother the sport with a pillow why don't they? Clowns.
8/4/2010 6:39pm
The UCI are Nazis.
Do they want our sport to go anywhere at all?
The more coverage the better I say.
8/4/2010 7:42pm
pure BS from the UCI. Mountain bikers need to take back our sport in the same way BMX did in the late 90's. Dew tour and X games are bigger than UCI racing and the riders make more money. UCI and USAcycling has never been interested in DH or gravity events and has been evident for the last 15 years. There is no reason Gravity events should be just as popular as BMX if not more popular
Captain23
8/4/2010 9:19pm
While I'm no UCI superfan, you have to understand it is NOT the UCI imposing these rules. It is the EBU (European Broadcast Union). In an effort to promote the sport, which most of you want the UCI to do, they have signed a global contract for ALL their World Champs (Road, MTB, BMX, Track etc). Now, normally EBU only want Road, but UCI says to them....take all or nothing....so all disciplines get coverage. EBU's contract terms mean that the rights given to them are exclusive, worldwide, including internet. Normally this means NO commercial broadcasts oither than EBU (and probably the host nation of Canada's TV channel) are permitted. Videos shot by fans for You Tube posting etc is NOT affected by this.

The UCI have gone and negotiated these improved terms for the teams. As a team owner, I can live with this because all you fans will still get to see the footage from Freecaster, and various TV channels, and we can still make our behind the scenes videos, which rarely uses more than a few minutes of finals footage. (The talented Parkins may still be obligated to wear the horse outfit).

So don't hate on the UCI too much, they are tryting to do the right thing by everyone (and as usual confuse many and piss off most by accident).
lucacometti
8/6/2010 1:51pm
$800 euros??
gotta get that iphone telephoto lens
lucacometti
8/6/2010 1:54pm
the guy who came up with these rules must have lost a lot of money gambaling in vegas and got pissed off and made up these rules to make money a piss people off

Post a reply to: 2010 World Champs Video Rules

The Latest