suspension clicks

Big Bird
8/3/2011 9:20am
Yup, not all forks have detents or "clicks". My old Rock Shox Pike for example. You just need to know where the lever or knob starts, as in zero damping, and where it stops, as in all of the available damping. Then just start experimenting to find the level of damping that you like. Once you upgrade to a fork that has detents, "10 clicks out" would mean that you start at full damping and back the adjuster out ten clicks. If the fork has twenty detents, ten clicks out would be the middle of the available range. Also, some forks have detents but use such a weak spring to actuate the ball that you feel them as opposed to hearing them. As far as setting up your suspension, everyone is different. I use just enough compression to keep from blowing through the travel, but not enough to cause any harshness. As for rebound, I like just enough to keep my tire on the ground when I compress the fork and pull up quickly. Tuning a rear shock is much the same. I like it fast, but I've felt some Pro's bikes that use a rediculous amounts of damping, as in super slow. I hope that was of some help.
turningisfun
8/7/2011 8:02pm
thanks that makes more sense now, i think i'll have to wait until i'm sponsored to get a fork with clicks though haha
mickryan
12/26/2015 8:10pm
Hey just on the clicks out do i need to click the however many clicks in to pump up the shock and then click them back out or do i leave it pump it up and then click out again?
Big Bird
12/27/2015 8:23am
The suspension adjustments shouldn't have any influence on your ability to pump up your shock. I have a vague memory of a shock long in the past that you had to worry about that with. But it's long gone and I don't know of any current models that do.

Post a reply to: suspension clicks

The Latest