rear derailleur cage width

Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 6:11pm
Have cage widths decreased along with chain widths over time? I really want to get the Shimano Zee which is meant for 10 speed chains. That could be upto a difference of 1.6 mm between a 10 speed chain and an 8 speed chain. Will the 8 spd chain fit thru this cage?

Sorry for the silly question but I have gone back to an 8 speed setup and I would love to be able to use this short cage clutch system. At 9 speed, I started breaking chains too often (shimano and sram) and that didn't happen in my 8 spd days.
|
3/17/2013 6:59pm
it wont work because the new 10spd derailleurs have different pull ratios then the 9 and 8 spd stuff
3/18/2013 6:30am
I thought all derailleurs are moved based on what the shifter is doing. I used an 8 speed (1994) der for years with a 9 speed shifter. That's why I thought this would work except for possibly issues with the width of the chain and the width of the cage it's traveling thru.
Big Bird
3/18/2013 6:58am
For years, all derailleurs had the same leverage ratio and you could mix and match. But then Sram came up with their 1:1 ratio and you couldn't mix parts from Sram and Shimano. Now, with ten and eleven speed systems, ratios are changing again.
3/19/2013 12:07pm
I see, thanks for the info. In the meantime, I found a 9 spd xtr short cage that should work for me.

Post a reply to: rear derailleur cage width

The Latest