Tool Kit Must Haves

Big Bird
2/22/2012 8:47am
I always make sure that I have all the tools to tighten any pivots, no matter how big an allen it takes. I have a 10mm allen that I cut down to make it lighter. Also a small adjustable wrench.
bturman
2/22/2012 4:18pm
Hmmm...

Sounds like you could use a bleed kit, crank tool (depending on your crank style, many are self-extracting now), bb tool, cone wrenches for your hubs, cassette tool and chain whip. If you're building bikes, a hacksaw, star nut setter, headset press are all needed.

Oh, and zip ties. Lot and lots of zip ties.
k.shiz
2/23/2012 11:00am
I'd hate to have a tool kit without a set of these knipex pliers:

And your race day kit should definitely have a few bucks in it because you never know when you'll need to buy a tube off someone in the parking lot (or if they give it to you, at least you can pay them back a tube when you're not trying to rush to the starting line).
shredlightly
2/23/2012 4:31pm
k.shiz wrote:
I'd hate to have a tool kit without a set of these knipex pliers: [img]http://www.expeditionexchange.com/knipex/DSC03758.jpg[/img] And your race day kit should definitely have a few bucks...
I'd hate to have a tool kit without a set of these knipex pliers:

And your race day kit should definitely have a few bucks in it because you never know when you'll need to buy a tube off someone in the parking lot (or if they give it to you, at least you can pay them back a tube when you're not trying to rush to the starting line).
I have been looking for something like this for years! Thanks for the tip shiz!
k.shiz
2/23/2012 6:18pm
Moga was the one that tipped me off to those things. In the last few years of having them in my toolbox, they have become favorites. Get a medium and large set and you're good for years and years. They aren't that cheap but when it comes to tools, you buy nice or you get bloody knuckles!
canadmos
2/24/2012 5:33am
Like bturman said, definitely get a cassette lockring tool, chainwhip (or make one) and an adjustable wrench to use the lockring tool. A good cable cutter will come in handy too.

Post a reply to: Tool Kit Must Haves

The Latest