Indestructible/do it all bike

pcity40
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 5:20am
I currently have a giant xtc 1 with a cracked top tube that is basically unridable because it flexes so much. It got that way through a lot of abuse on trails, big six pack of dirt jumps and skate parks...Now that the giant is trashed I'm looking for a new free ride bike that I can do some races on, jump and just ride around too and do 3 mile wheelies on. If be willing to spend up to let's say 2500 and I don't know much about good bikes to buy I just bought the giant cause that's what thu had at my local ship at the time. So could someone just please give some advice on what I should get! I know there has been so many dudes asking the same question as me but I think my case is dif. Anything will help me and I really just want to get the right bike, but there are so many options!
|
Rdot84
3/31/2013 11:32am
GT Distortion is a good all around bike. Does everything well but doesnt stand out in any particular category. Dirt jumps...it can do that; trails...most definitely; downhill....bombs with the best of them; park....sure why not. Can get one brand new for under $2000 for the 3.0.
astrizzle
3/31/2013 2:51pm
There isn't one bike that will do it all even though it is getting closer the more bikes evolve these days. What kind of racing do you do? Enduro bikes are very capable but don't climb as well, Trail bikes climb better but dont descend as well, etc. There is always going to be a trade off somewhere. You just have to go with a brand that you trust, and talk to a local bike shop supervisor to help you narrow down what you want. I myself like Specialized and Giant but whatever floats your boat.
pcity40
3/31/2013 7:05pm
I looked at that GT a little more and it looks like it has kind of what I want (thru axle, good rims and components, but no chainguide is the only bad thing). I bet it is capable of getting a guide though. The frame seems a little bulky and not very flickable either but for 2000 it could be a good option, I will try to read a few more reviews on the bike. Thank you for the recomendation though!
pcity40
3/31/2013 7:09pm
Hey astrizzle, I know exactly what you are saying about a tradeoff and obviously I'm not going to be able to find a bike that fit all of the criteria i am trying to shove into my decision. I do cross-country tight trail type racing though and dont need a whole lot of gears, basically just one chainring in the front and then like 9 in the back would be fine. I am really looking into a specialized enduro comp or evo, There is a dealer in town that i will most likely stop into and see what he has to say about those bikes.
astrizzle
4/1/2013 2:34pm
I am about to buy a Spec stumpjumper evo comp myself and thought it was a perfect balance in what i need in a bike. I'll mainly do trail rides both long and short but prolly not too much super d or enduro racing or anything like that but that is what is cool about specialized; no matter what you want to do they have a bike specifically for you, heck they have bikes at 120mm of rear travel on up to 200mm of rear travel and a bike for every 20mm gap in between. Chances are the only problem you will have is picking the exact model you want and thats a good problem to have.
Big Bird
4/2/2013 6:27am
Just make sure that the frame you get is,nt crooked.
mrpowerjd
4/3/2013 8:51am
Pcity, my 2012 Specialized Enduro Expert Evo is up for sale. It's not a super climber but will rip any descent you point it at. It has been a very fun bike. If you're looking for something that is a little more balanced, the regular Enduro, Stumpy, or Stumpy Evo would be worth considering, IMO. that's just from Specialized's line. There are plenty of great bikes out there; I'm partial to Specialized because that was my first mtb back in the way back.

Specs and other info from Specialized's Archive: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2012/enduro/enduroexpert…

Good hunting! Shopping for a new bike is fun--but with sooooo many great products on the market right now, it's tough!
bikedude
4/9/2013 12:57pm
Canfield One!
Anything that pedals like a champion and can be a downhill race bike sounds perfect. So I got one. 6.5 to 8 inches depending on shock length / mounting position. Front derailleur capable. Cool company.
I looked and continue to look for indestructible do it all bikes and I honestly think the Canfield is one of the best options for those who don't want to sacrifice gravity fun and suspension design.

Post a reply to: Indestructible/do it all bike

The Latest